A Doula is a non-medically trained birth support specialist. Doula means “servant” or “slave” in the Greek Language. So, a Doula is a laboring mother’s servant or helpmate. A Doula provides emotional, physical and mental support for the mother and her partner during labor. She knows all of the medical terms and is trained on how to help a woman get through birth no matter what kind of birth the mother chooses (home, water, hospital, unmedicated, medicated and even c-section). She supports the mom’s educated choices no matter how she may feel about them personally. Our saying is “It is YOUR birth, YOUR baby, and YOUR body.”
With a doula, you have all the backup you need. Whether you want her to be the main support or to help dad help mom is up to you. A doula is there physically and emotionally for both of the parents. She stays with both parents through shift changes of nurses and doctors until the baby is born.
Below are just a few reasons why people hire doulas. (taken from http://www.maternitywise.org)
- tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- 26% less likely to give birth by c-section
- 36% less likely to be dissatisfied with or negatively rate their childbirth experience
- 41% less likely to have need for Pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- 28% less likely to use any pain medication and/or epidurals
Research shows parents who receive support can… ( taken from http://www.DONA.org)
- feel more secure and cared for
- are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- have greater success with breastfeeding
- have greater self-confidence
- have less postpartum depression
- have lower incidence of abuse
Why Choose Right Hand Doulas?
- 3 experienced doulas who are respected in the birth community
- Reliable back up who you will meet and a have a relationship with prior to labor
- Guarantee for fresh support (*after 18 hrs you receive a fresh doula with new ideas and energy to help you finish your journey at NO additional cost!)
- Through our unique prenatal style you will enjoy the benefits of support and sharing your journey with other moms due around the same time you are.
- Relationships with your doula that will last longer than just your birth experience through your doula and new community
- Luxury of finding all of your birth and postpartum needs in one agency i.e. placenta encapsulation, belly binding, breastfeeding support, comfort measure classes etc.
- Full access to our expertise in all things birth, breastfeeding and newborn