A Doula is a non-medically trained birth support specialist. A Doula provides emotional, physical and mental support for the mother and her partner during labor. She knows all of the medical terms and is trained on how to help a woman get through birth no matter what kind of birth the mother chooses (home, water, hospital, unmedicated, medicated and even c-section). She supports the mom’s educated choices no matter how she may feel about them personally. “It is YOUR birth, YOUR baby, and YOUR body.”
With a doula, you have all the backup you need. Whether you want me to be the main support or to help dad help mom is up to you. A doula is there physically and emotionally for both of the parents. I stay with both parents through the shift changes of nurses, midwives and doctors until the baby is born providing more continuity through the birthing process.
Below are just a few reasons why people hire doulas. ( Evidence Based Birth and Cochran study)
- Tends to result in shorter labors with fewer complications
- Less likely to give birth by c-section
- Less likely to be dissatisfied with or negatively rate their childbirth experience
- Less likely to have need for Pitocin (a labor-inducing drug), forceps or vacuum extraction and cesareans
- Less likely to use any pain medication and/or epidurals
- Shorter Labor
- Higher APGAR scores for baby
Research shows parents who receive support can… ( taken from http://www.DONA.org)
- feel more secure and cared for
- are more successful in adapting to new family dynamics
- have greater success with breastfeeding
- have greater self-confidence
- have less postpartum depression
- have lower incidence of abuse
Why choose Right Hand Doula?
- Guarantee for fresh support if needed (*after 18 hrs you receive a fresh doula with new ideas and energy to help you finish your journey at NO additional cost! This is something you and I talk about when and if needed)
- Relationships with your doula that will last longer than just your birth experience
- Luxury of finding all of your birth and postpartum needs in one agency i.e. placenta encapsulation, belly binding, breastfeeding support, comfort measure classes etc.
- Full access to my 11 years and over 400+ births of expertise in all things birth, breastfeeding and newborn.
- during labor you will have access to my essential oils and tens unit at no extra charge.
Does a doula take my husbands place, my mother or mother in laws place?
Absolutely NOT! A doula is there to bring her knowledge, ideas and support for everyone. A lot of the time the family members and partner are grateful for her expertise and guidance when intensity rises or questions arise. Birth is ever changing so what your mother may have experienced is different than what you will experience almost every single time. I try to encourage fathers to support their wives with myself providing ideas for movement, massage, hydration, controlling the atmosphere etc. If a family member also wants to be involved we can easily give them a position of support. A lot of times it frees the family member up to keep up communication with other family members, support mom emotionally and both parents nutritionally without having to also give mom ideas on how to change her positions, tell dad where to massage moms back or how to hip squeeze.